Our Guiding Philosophy
I came that they might have Life and have it in fullness(John 10:10)
A Christ Centered Church Equipped for Transforming Mission among People.
Promoting Evangelical Christianity through Teaching, Nurturing, Healing, Caring and Empowering all our Church Members.
- Upholding of the Holy Scriptures.
- Selfless Service.
- Upholding Biblical Family Values.
- Unity in Christ.
Namirembe Diocese is the mother Diocese of the Anglican Church of Uganda. it covers the Political Districts of Wakiso, Kalangala, parts of Kampala Capital City and Tanzania in Lake Victoria.
It boarders with the Dioceses of Mukono, Luwero,Mityana, Central Buganda, West Buganda and in a very unique way with Kampala Diocese(Namirembe Diocese surrounds it).
Althought the Diocesan Headquarters are in Kampala,it is to a great extent a rural Diocese with farming as the main source of Living for the Christians.
The Diocese is divided into 60 Parishes, 6 Archdeaconries, 1 Cathedral Deanery and 342 Local Churches (Congregations) with 103 Clergy in active service out of which 7 are Women and 3 are Deaf.
There are 342 layreaders in active service and 30 retired Clergy (Pensioners).
The Diocese took on its name "Namirembe Diocese" in 1960, but the history of its formation goes way back as far as January 1885 when Church of England created a Missionary Diocese of Eastern Equatorial Africa with the Rt. Rev. James hannington as its forst Bishop, with the headquarters at Mombasa Kenya. In the same year Bishop Hannington chose to visit Uganda which was part of his Diocese, but he was killed in October 1885 on the orders of King Mwanga II of Buganda.
Bishop Henry Perrot Parker was appointed to replace Hannington, but he died of Malaria 2 years later on his way to Uganda.
Bishop Alfred Robert Tucker was from 1890 the 3rd and last Bishop of that huge Diocese of Eastern Equatorial Africa. After a stint in Mombasa, he concentrated in Uganda.
In 1897 the Diocese of Uganda was created out of the Eastern Equatorial Africa Diocese, and Alfred Robert Tucker became its first Bishop with headquarters at Namirembe.
The Diocese of Mombasa was created in 1899 with the Rt. Rev. W.G. Peel as its first Bishop and that marked the end of the Missionary Diocese of Eastern Equatorial Africa.
Bishop Tucker retired in 1911 and was replaced by Bishop James J. willis.
In 1926 the Diocese of Upper Nile, covering the eastern and Nothern regions of Uganda with its Headquarters at Ngora in Teso, was created out of the Diocese of Uganda.
In 1935 Bishop James Willis retired and was replaced by the Rt. Rev. Cyril Edgar Stuart who also retired in 1953 and handed over to the Rt. Rev. Leslie Brown. In 1960 the Diocese of Uganda was divided into 5 other Dioceses and one of them which had its headquarters of Diocese of Diocese of Uganda, became the Diocese of Namirembe (as it is currently called) with the Rt. Rev. Leslie Brown still as its Bishop.
In 1961, the area of Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Boga Zaire was formed into a Province with the Rt. rev. Leslie Brown as the Archbishop, a role he combined with that of being the Bishop of Namirembe until he retired in 1965.
Since then, the Diocese has successively had four Ugandan Diocesan Bishops in the names of Rt. Rev. Dunstan Kasi Nsubuga, Rt. Rev. Misaeri Kauma, Rt. Rev. Samuel Balagadde Ssekadde and Currently Rt. Rev. Wilberforce Kityo Luwalira, who have greatly contributed to the Growth of the Diocese of Namirembe.